Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mining in Homonhon Island: a mount of calvary to all

Homonhon Island is part of the municipality of Guiuan, Province of Eastern Samar, located at the southernmost part of Guiuan and is exposed to the Pacific Ocean. It has a total land area of more or less 7,400 sq. has, composed of 8 barangays with an average population of 7,000 people. It cradles a vast and rich aqua-marine, coasftal and upland and mineral resources and it has great potential for agricultural, eco and historical tourism development. It is basically a fishing and farming community.
In my lifetime, I have seen and experienced the serenity and tranquilty of the Island, the Island where I have first seen the light and raised, along with the simpleness of times, inahabitants seemed to live as the more liesured people and was almost untouch by the pressures of the outside world. The abundance of food and other necessities was dependent on how one peresevere to acquire it and needless to say that that those who were industrious enough rose to the rank of popularity
Mining comes and it diverts the actual setting of Homonhon Island. the traditional living condition has turned into a capitalist standards where every one has to pay for every cost of his/her existence and this will be my subject even if it cost me myself and my own existence! 



No comments:

Post a Comment